The tank upgrade system in Valkyria Chronicles 2 is significantly different to that of Valkyria Chronicles. The Type 36 tanks are modular tanks, meaning they are divided into different parts, each of which has different types and can be leveled up. Players can mix and match these parts, with certain limitations, to create a suitable tank. The parts of a tank include:
Since Japanese text is usually shorter than English text, when the game was being localized, the lack of space often makes it difficult to put complete English words in the game menus. Therefore, there are a lot of terms that have been abbreviated, which may lead many players into confusion.
- Weight (wt.) - Determines how heavy a vehicle part is. Vehicles can only carry parts as heavy as the capacity it has.
- Capacity (Cap.) - Determines how many parts a vehicle can carry, 1 Capacity equals to 1 Weight.
- Carry - The number of infantry units an APC can carry.
- AilRest/Resist - The radiator's defense. It is not Ailment Resistance as the name suggested since vehicles cannot be affected by Status Ailments. It is perhaps a bad translation when the game was localized.
- Construct (Cstrct) - The vehicle's ability to construct/rebuild bridges and ladders (YES/NO, indicating that it can/cannot construct).
- Front Defense (Fr Def) - The vehicle's ability to negate damage from the front. Note that APCs are allways bulletproof from the front, regardless of the actual value.
- Side Defense (Sd Def) - The vehicle's ability to negate damage from the side. Note that APCs will always take at least one damage point per hit regardless of how high this value is.
- Rear Defense (Rr Def) - The vehicle's ability to negate damage to the rear. APCs will always take at least one damage per hit, regardless of the actual value.
- Off-road (Off-Rd) - The vehicle's ability to move through soft terrains (snow, sand, toxic pool) without doubling AP use. YES/NO.
- Ice Breaker (IceBrk) - The vehicle's ability to pass through paths blocked by ice. YES/NO.
- Rock Breaker (RckBrk) - The vehicle's ability to break rocks blocking some paths, creating shortcuts. YES/NO.
- Turret Speed (TrtSpd) - The vehicle turret's turning speed.
- Accuracy Critical (AcCrct) - Reduce the size of the aiming circle. YES/NO.
- Range Critical (RgCrCt) - Increases tank's range.