|Valkyria Chronicles 4|
|Engine||Proprietary "CANVAS" engine|
|Platform(s)||PS4, Xbox One, Switch|
|Genre(s)||Action strategy role-playing game|
Valkyria Chronicles 4: Eastern Front (戦場のヴァルキュリア4) is the fourth game in the Valkyria Chronicles series and the 5th installment of the entire Valkyria series. In Japan it will release on March 21, 2018 for PS4 and Summer 2018 for Switch. The English version will also see an XBox One release.
Valkyria Chronicles 4 occurs in the same timeframe as Valkyria Chronicles and Valkyria Chronicles 3. Whereas past installments of the series have all taken place in Gallia, this time the stage is set on the Federation's war efforts, centering around members of Squad E.
It is the year 1935 EC.
The continent of Europa is engulfed in the flames of the Second Europan War between the Atlantic Federation and the Autocratic Eastern Imperial Alliance. Although the Federation struggles valiantly against the Empire’s forces, the relentless imperial military machine threatens to consume them. With victory slipping away, the Federation executes Operation Northern Cross: a last-ditch attempt to capture the imperial capital and end the war.
Commander Claude Wallace and his loyal childhood friends in Squad E are sent to fight for the desperate operation’s success, but they will have to endure harsh bone-chilling elements, waves of imperial soldiers, and the terrifying Valkyria… and unravel a grave truth that will shake them to the core.
Squad E (Main)
- Claude Wallace (クロード・ウォレス Kurōdo Woresu?) - Edinburgh Army 101st Division No. 1 Battle Brigade No. 32 Armored Ranger Battalion Squad E squad leader and tanker. A first lieutenant. He is a serious, passionate, and caring commanding officer. He is a talented individual who graduated at the top of his class at Edinburgh Military Academy. He has a strong determination to accomplish his objective, and even in the face of a difficult mission, inspires his comrades with his fiery determination. He is voiced by Ryousuke Kanemoto.
- Riley Miller (レイリィ・ミラー Reirī Mirā?) - A member of the Edinburgh Army 101st Division No. 1 Battle Brigade No. 32 Armored Ranger Batallion’s Heavy Weapons Support Team and a grenadier. A second lieutenant technician with great scientific ability, who is prideful and has great confidence in herself, and is a genius in Ragnite engineering. She specializes in mental arithmetic and physical calculation, and thus exhibits talent in ballistic calculation as a gunner. She is positive and cheerful, and ambitious in that she pushes forward without fear of failure. She is voiced by Nao Touyama.
- Raz (ラズ Razu?) - Edinburgh Army 101st Division No. 1 Battle Brigade No. 32 Armored Ranger Battalion Squad E division officer and Assault soldier. His rank is sergeant. He is aggressive and quick to get into fights, and talks with a rough tone. He tends to be misunderstood due to his clumsy personality, but he is extremely caring of his friends. He is voiced by Kazuya Nakai.
- Kai Schulen (カイ・シュレン Kai Shuren?) - Edinburgh Army 101st Division No. 1 Battle Brigade No. 32 Armored Ranger Battalion Squad E division officer. She is a sniper master sergeant. She is Claude, Raz, and Riley’s childhood friend, and is usually silent and blunt. With the nickname “One Shot Killer,” she is a prodigy sharpshooter whose eyes conceal a strong purpose. While she may sound mannish and curt when she speaks, she is actually very mature and kind. She is voiced by Maaya Sakamoto.
Squad E (Secondary)
- Angelica Farnaby (アンジェリカ・ファーナビー Anjerika Fānabī?) - An energetic and brave civilian girl who finds her way into Squad E. When they found her, she could not remember anything except her name. Much about her is unknown, including the events that led to her involvement with Squad E. Rather than have a child-like selfishness, she is a kind-hearted character who cares about those around her. Her cheerful personality has also made her popular among the helper soldiers, who nicknamed her “Ange.” She is voiced by Ayane Sakura.
- Minerva Victor (ミネルバ・ウィクトル Mineruba Wikutoru?) - Edinburgh Army 101st Division No. 1 Battle Brigade No. 32 Armored Ranger Battalion Squad F leader and first lieutenant. She was in the same class as Claude at Edinburgh Military Academy, and graduated second in their class. She worked and studied very hard to graduate at the top of her class, but was not able to surpass Claude. Since then, she sees Claude as a strong rival who she believes was chosen by mistake, insisting that her own abilities are superior. Due to her father’s influence, she has a strong sense of elitism, and values the chivalrous spirit of a fair battle. She is sociable and kind to others—except Claude. She is voiced by Saori Hayami.
- Karen Stewart (カレン・スチュアート Karen Suchuāto?) - Edinburgh Army 101st Division No. 1 Battle Brigade No. 32 Armored Ranger Battalion Squad E medical officer and corporal. Quiet and kind, she’s popular among the troops for her soothing smile. Since she grew up in an all-male household, she is particularly skilled in the treatment of men, and patches up the injuries that come her way with a smiling face. She hopes to go to medical school, but is volunteering to serve in the military in order to help her family. She is voiced by Yuka Saitou.
- Ragnarok (ラグナロック Ragunarokku?) - Edinburgh Army 101st Division No. 1 Battle Brigade No. 32 Armored Ranger Battalion Squad E medical dog and mascot of the unit. He was originally a stray found by the squad. He became attached to Claude and company, and joined Squad E. He is a brave dog who will fearlessly run to the battlefield even during gunfires and bombings to aid injured soldiers. He cannot ignore the weak and will run to their aid against better judgment.
- Miles Abegg (マイルズ・アーベック Mairuzu Ābekku?) - Edinburgh Army 101st Division No. 1 Battle Brigade No. 32 Armored Ranger Battalion Squad E tank driver and mechanic; corporal. He was a diligent honors student during his time at the military academy, where he was in a class behind Claude. He is calm and can handle anything with ease. He gets along with everyone, but on the flip side has few deep relationships. His hobby is photography. He is voiced by Hiroshi Okamoto.
- Dan Bentley (ダン・ベントレー Dan Bentorē?) - Edinburgh Army 101st Division No. 1 Battle Brigade No. 32 Armored Ranger Battalion Squad E armored vehicle driver and mechanic; lance corporal. He loves tanks and armored vehicles more than anything. Before he knew it, he had joined the allied forces and become a driver. Since his hobby is working on tanks, he will never turn down a request to repair one. He is a man of few words, but cares about his friends. He is voiced by Hisao Egawa.
- Ronald Albee (ロナルド・オールビー Ronarudo Ōrubī?) - Edinburgh Army 101st Division No. 1 Battle Brigade No. 32 Armored Ranger Battalion Squad F tank commander; second lieutenant. Since the commanding officer Minerva does not operate a tank, he serves as the tank commander for Squad F. He was in a class behind Minerva during their time at the military academy, and she beat the code of chivalry into him. He is also very ambitious. He is voiced by Atsuki Tani.
- Andre Dunois (?) - Chief Engineer aboard the snow cruiser Centurion and also e veteran with thirty years of service, used to serve with Captain Roland for a long time. He’s a stubborn old man who often shouts at his subordinates, but his hand is steady and his ability is very trustworthy. His hobby is alcohol. He is voiced by Shin Aomori.
- Roland Morgan (ローランド・モーガン Rōrando Mōgan?) - Edinburgh Navy colonel, and captain of the snow cruiser Centurion. As someone with an extremely gentle and mild personality who never panics in a critical situation, he is the mental pillar of the warship. He can also be strict, having once been feared as the “Demon Captain,” and is tough on both himself and others, letting out a sharp roar when necessary. He lost a warship in the past, and is operating with strong preparedness as not to sink the second time around. He is voiced by Michihiro Ikemizu.
- Bryan Haddock (ブライアン・ハドック Buraian Hadokku?) - Edinburgh Navy first lieutenant, and chief navigator of the Centurion. He is somewhat neurotic, which makes him difficult to approach, but is calm and sensible at his core. He is a respected man who has supported Morgan on the battlefield many times since his first mission, and is something of a vice captain. As a navy supremacist, he tends to look down on the army and clash opinions with Claude. He is voiced by Takuya Kirimoto.
- Mary Bennett (マリー・ベネット Marī Benetto?) - Edinburgh Navy master sergeant, and communications officer of the Centurion. A woman with a calm atmosphere and undying smile, she is “everyone’s big sister” on the warship. Her gentle personality exudes a fine upbringing. She is an extremely hard worker, working outside of her duties to clean the warship, patrol, and so on during the day. She is also good at cooking. She is voiced by Hiroko Ushida.
- Ruch (ルフ Rufu?) - Edinburgh Navy sergeant, and tracker of the Centurion. As a prodigy who skipped grades to graduation at Navy Training School, she is familiar with the latest technology, and joins the fleet after her abilities were recognized. She does not talk to anyone much, perhaps because of serious and level-headed character, or strong tone of voice, but is close with Mary. She is voiced by Shino Shimoji.
- Sergio Maskyura (?) - Military doctor belonging to the Edinburgh Navy, stationed on the snow cruiser Centurion. He used to be a pediatrician at a town hospital before the war. He’s a funny and kind person, but he can become scary when someone tries to escape treatment. His hobby is bodybuilding, boasting the top physical strength on the ship. He is voiced by Masaya Takatsuka.
- Crymaria Levinc (クライマリア・レヴィン Kuraimaria Revin?) - A member of the Imperial Science Institute’s special test unit, “X-0.” A special duty captain, she is a Valkyria who possesses miraculous ability, and can even has the power to destroy a tank with a single blow. She was forced to live as an experimental body and was unable to build up normal human relations, so she does not like to associate with others. She is also a being of legend on the battlefield revered as “Witch of the Snowstorm” for the way she enters and leaves the battlefield with a snowstorm. She is accompanied by a wolf named Fenrir, who is a friend from her time at the Experimental Facility. She is voiced by Yukana.
- Klaus Walz (クラウツ・ヴォルツ Kurautsu Vorutsu?) - The commanding officer of the Imperial Army’s independent gang known by the name “Ausbruch.” He is a lieutenant colonel. He is OK with anything as long as it interests him and does not bother with trivial matters, but will fixate on important things and hunches to the very end. In that sense, he will obediently follow his brimming curiosity. Because he believes in his own intuition and keen nose to make quick decisions and take action, he makes mistakes from time to time and tends to jump to conclusions, but that is also the reason for his great success and one of his personal charms. He is voiced by Hiroki Tōchi.
- Forseti (フォルセ Foruse?) - A special duty captain among the tactical officers in the Imperial Science Institute’s special test unit, X-0. He is a man with great confidence in himself, who is always calm and has a strong spirit that does not frighten. He judges all matters and takes action with a cool and dry attitude, but if his opponent exceeds his expectations or the like, he rides that emotion and loses sight of his surroundings. He always thinks he is right and has a strong determination to see things through. Due to a leg injury, he cannot participate directly in battle, but Belgar, who acknowledges Forseti’s talents and invited him to join X-0, he acknowledges Forseti as someone with clever and rational ideas that remind him of himself. He is voiced by Kaito Ishikawa.
- Heinrich Belgar (ベルガー Hainrihhi Berugā?) - Supervisor of the Imperial Science Institute’s special test unit, X-0. He is the top executive at the Imperial Science Institute, which develops various heavy weapons according to the Empire’s requests. As a noble from a country annexed by the Empire, he has no feelings of patriotism for the Empire, but has had interest in science and technology since childhood. He procures funds from the Empire in order to acquire that technological strength for the military and continue his own studies. He both a natural politician and stubborn, and established a position in the military and gained fame in order to help his family name. He has the authority of an admiral, and with X-0 as the chess pieces under his direct control, he does whatever he desires on the battlefield. He is voiced by Shō Hayami.
- Nikola Graf (ニコラ・グレフ Nikora Gurefu?) - A special group member of the Imperial Science Institute’s special test unit, X-0. Like Chiara, she works under Belgar and was raised alongside Chiara like a sister in the Imperial Research Institution from a very young age. As a bodyguard under Belgar’s direct control, she is assigned the duty of eliminating Belgar’s enemies. Because her body has been strengthened through repeated “adjustments,” her spirit is partly broken and she lacks a humanistic way of thinking. She is sadist who loves to torment others, but is the malicious type who likes to drive the enemy into a corner mentally rather than through direct violence. She is voiced by Naomi Ōzora.
- Chiara Rocino (キアラ・ロジーノ Kiara Rojīno?) - A special group member of the Imperial Science Institute’s special test unit, X-0. She was raised alongside Nikola like sisters in the Imperial Research Institute overseen by Belgar. She is obedient to Belgar and will abide by any command, but given that Belgar is both someone she owes her life to and a “father,” she only considers it natural. She has a strong desire to be recognized by Belgar, who she calls her “father,” and not be cast aside, and often acts selfishly. Like Nikola, she loves to torment others, but unlike Nikola, Chiara does so with straightforward and relentless physical violence. She is voiced by Yukiyo Fujii.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 https://gematsu.com/2017/11/valkyria-chronicles-4-announced-ps4-xbox-one-switch
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 https://gematsu.com/2017/12/valkyria-chronicles-4-details-characters-battle-system-classes
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 https://gematsu.com/2017/12/valkyria-chronicles-4-details-angelica-minerva-karen-ragnarok-training-grounds-operation-room-orders-potentials
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 https://gematsu.com/2018/01/valkyria-chronicles-4-details-miles-dan-ronald-tanks-research-development
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 https://www.dualshockers.com/valkyria-chronicles-4-screenshots-story-characters-2/
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 https://gematsu.com/2018/02/valkyria-chronicles-4-details-roland-bryan-mary-ruch-snow-cruiser-centurion
|Valkyria Chronicles 4|
|Federation||Claude Wallace | Riley Miller | Raz | Kai Schulen | Angelica Farnaby | Karen Stewart | Minerva Victor | Ragnarok|
|Empire||Crymaria Levinc | Forseti | Belgar | Chiara Rocino | Nikola Graf | Klaus Walz|
|Valkyria Chronicles Series|
|Main Games||Valkyria Chronicles | Valkyria Chronicles 2 | Valkyria Chronicles 3 - Extra Edition | Valkyria Chronicles 4|
|Spin-off||Valkyria Chronicles Duel | Project X Zone | Valkyria Revolution|
|Animations||Valkyria Chronicles Anime | Valkyria Chronicles 3 OVA|
|Merchandise||Action Figures | Books | Music|